You guys know the types of people I'm talking about. Judgers, haters, negative Nancys, Debbie downers, misunderstanders, toxic people... the list goes on and on. Hopefully at this point, we all know deep down that their negativity has nothing to do with us and everything to do with them and some unhealed, insecure part of themselves, but it can still be an issue. If you've been reading for awhile, you guys know that I've had plenty of experience dealing with these types of people, and I've learned a lot. Here is a list of the questions I ask myself and things I consider when choosing who to spend my time with, my energy on, and who I let in to my life.
- Do they spread negativity to me or others?
- Do they, or have they, criticized me to my face or behind my back?
- Do they pick and choose the parts of my life to care about, or do they care about me as a whole person?
- Do their conversations center around complaining?
- Do their conversations center around gossip?
- Do I leave their presence feeling stressed, anxious, or drained?
- Do I dread being in their presence because I have felt or noticed these things already?
If I can answer yes to any of those questions, you can bet that I have distanced myself from the person, and have chosen to spend my time and energy in different ways that fill me with positivity, joy, and inspiration! It takes practice, it takes confidence, it takes knowing who you are and what you deserve in life. But, you guys, LIFE IS SHORT- way too short to allow other people to diminish your light. xoxoxo